Santa LuciaAula Magna - Via Castiglione, 36 | Aula Absidale - Via de’ Chiari, 25
The origins of the Church- like those of the entire Castiglione – Cartolerie – De’ Chiari neighbourhood- are ancient. The historian Masini dates its foundation back to 432 AD. A succession of events prevented completion of the Church’s façade and monumental apse for nearly two centuries. During this time, rites were celebrated in one section of the nave, temporarily closed off. In 1866, the royal domain seized the Church and appropriated it for use first as a barracks, then as a gymnasium and finally, as a laboratory for the Aldini Valeriani Institute.
Santa Lucia’s Apsidal Room was inaugurated about two years after the Aula Magna. The room seats more than 350 people and is adjacent to the Church’s service areas (cloakroom, toilets, pressroom, drawing room). The Apsidal Room has curtain walls- with a metallic grid structure and glass panes- inset in the curves defined by the uncompleted transepts, and abutting the Aula Magna’s two side courtyards. A screen links the Apsidal Room to the Aula Magna.*